Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Boule on La Cienega

So after visiting Vito's the other day I strolled down La Cienega Blvd. and came across an adorable pastry/ice cream/chocolate shop called Boule. My French-speaking friend had to correct me after I pronounced it "Boo-LAY." Apparently it sounds more like "bull," but as if your lips were stuck with a spoonful of peanut butter. "Boo~ll"

Prices are a tad steep; I laid down more cash for this dainty carrot cake ($~6??), above, than for my pizza dinner. But if you can overlook the financial setback then you're in store for a treat. It's very light, moist and packed with fresh shreds of carrots, (I think) zucchini, and a touch of spice. There's something else in there that adds to a slight chewiness factor, too. It's definitely one of those desserts you'll find your self savoring rather than scarfing down.

Still burping out my cheese pizza, I didn't have room to try any of the other confections... but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Their fresh-baked macarons looked tasty and I bet they'd go well with ice cream.



Boule
420 N. La Cienega Blvd.
LA, CA 90048
(310) 289-9977
Digg this

8 comments:

Clare said...

Yum. I will have to check this out sometime - looks divine!

H. C. said...

I love Boule's sweets, macarons and wild honey gelato!

The service is a bit more iffy, sometimes they're friendly -- other times, snooty.

SinoSoul said...

i (as well as all wedding planners) love the blue boxes and all but.. L'Artisan Du Chocolat > Bull any day, twice a day.

btw, good times @ Shin Sen Gumi that nite! I'm off to try the takoyaki tonite.

Pirikara said...

Hmm, must investigate this chocolate shop. Oh and have fun with the takoyaki. The chef recommended the one with lots of toppings. Bring me back some!!!

Chubbypanda said...

That's a lot for such a cute little cake. I'll take it on faith that it was worth the price of admission.

mattatouille said...

I like Boule except it's just wayyyy too expensive. They're opening another branch in Beverly Hills on Bedford, so we'll see how that goes...

dazzle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dazzle said...

Yes the sweets are great. They now have their chocolate croissants back, which my friend and I have voted the best in L.A. Although when I asked a server tonight about whether they had almond croissants, she snipped, "We usually do, but didn't bake any today" then she immediately walked away but not before turning back and snipping at a guy "are you ordering anything?". So I am hoping to send a friend to order my croissants so next time I don't have to suffer the wait staff's wrath.