Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sprinkles cup cakes @ Beverly Hills


After months of anticipation, I finally made my way to Beverly Hills
for a Sprinkles cupcake. I heard Oprah had recently featured it on her show and
soon after, wouldntyaknow, women flocked to the store en masse. Not
that I'm an Oprah groupie but I'm always intrigued when a store can
get away with charging $3.25 for a single cupcake.

I've had cupcakes at the famous Magnolia Bakery
in New York and was truthfully unimpressed. The frosting was way too
heavy and tasted no different from any other supermarket bought
one. Sprinkles wouldn't be any different, I thought. So I was
completely caught off guard when I took a bite into the ginger lemon
cupcake, shown above, and actually liked it. No, loved it. I normally
hate heavily frosted desserts, but it redeems itself with a kick of
fine bits of real lemon and ginger. In general, it's sorta like sinking
your teeth into a perfectly marbled piece of meat, fatty as hell but oh
so juicy. I've actually never enjoyed fatty meat but I think I know now
why people drool over them.
Digg this

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, now I don't know what to think of your other opinions. I prefer Yummy Cupcakes in Burbank. I find the frosting overly sweet and the cake too dense. Maybe I've eaten one too many box mixes.

Pirikara said...

Thanks for the comment, Anonymous. Actually, I've gone back to Sprinkles, this time trying out the other flavors like red velvet... and yes, they were really, really heavy. I think I just got lucky with the ginger one. The ginger bits got me so excited that it blinded me as to how heavy it really was.

Anonymous said...

the red velvet cupcakes from blue bird cafe, in my opinion, are better than sprinkles. i might actually go as far as to say they are my favorites so far.
sprinkles isn't BAD... it just seems like they are more into presentation. and if i was going to give cupcakes to someone as a gift, i would definitely go with sprinkles for that reason.
havent tried yummy cupcakes yet... but from their site... they dont "look" that good. [http://www.yummycupcakes.com/]

dont get me wrong... i want great tasting cupcakes.
but i am sucker for great presentation.
:)

sdfafsadf said...

i've never been to sprinkles but have you tried dainties cupcakes? dave thinks they're like "gourmet ding dongs" because they're creme filled. you have to try the tiramisu!