Tuesday, September 23, 2008

VIDEO: How to Make Mochi!

I recently visited Little Tokyo's oldest mochi shop, Fugetsudo. Third-generation owner Brian Kito showed us how to make suama, a multi-colored sweet made of mochi flour. I was impressed by his deft kneading skills, and when it came time for me to try my hand at it I realized I was all thumbs. =/





The 105-year old shop also makes traditional sweets like kuzu mochi, kuri manju, my most favorite ohagi, as well as modern creations like peanut butter mochi. Most cost no more than a dollar each!

More pics here on flickr.

Fugetsudo
315 E 1st St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 625-8595

=====

In other news:
Digg this

3 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

I love that shop. They've got some cool modern mochi, but their classics are still the best.

BoLA said...

I love your J-Pop vids! Making mochi by hand is pretty fun too! There's something about smacking rice with a huge mallet that feels so liberating. ;)

Natty said...

Wow, those are gorgeous! I need to visit. LA is wonderful.