Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How to Live off Japanese Curry for a Week

MONDAY

When you're really in the poorhouse the best thing to do is make a big pot of House Curry and eat it for the rest of the week. Don't even bother sticking it in the fridge. Just leave it on the stove and warm it up just before you eat. (Okay, I take that back. This isn't Japan where room temperature is the same as the fridge's in the dead of winter.)

Of course, the big question is how to keep yourself from going insane eating the same thing every day. Well, last week I tested my culinary prowess making as many dishes as I could using the same pot of curry. On Monday I had the standard curry over rice. The trick is to slow simmer it for at least two hours, but not to the point where the potatoes turn mushy. I like adding diced apples into the mix of carrots, onions, chicken and potatoes. It has a nice texture to it.

TUESDAY



Mmm, nothing beats a juicy piece of fried pork chops, otherwise known as tonkatsu. When you add it to curry it's called katsu-kare.The supermarket at Koreatown Galleria sells two slabs for under 3 bucks.

WEDNESDAY



After a couple days of heating and reheating, the pot 'o curry starts to thicken like no other. That's when you take out another pot and boil a fistful of udon noodles. The soup base is fairly simple to make. It's roughly a cup of water, a pinch of dashi, a few tablespoons of soy sauce, and a tablespoon of sake. The beauty of kare udon is that even if you mess up the soup base the curry will act as your cover.

THURSDAY



Oh the lovely kare-pan! After Mikey started going off about his craving for Famima's own curry bread, I got the idea to fry up my own batch. The bread took some work. I added yeast and let it rise overnight. Then I turned my kitchen into a floury haze, rolling out the dough into flat circles. After that, I spooned in some curry, sealed it into an oval pouch, dipped it into egg and panko, and fried.



FRIDAY

Okay, so I didn't eat curry on Friday. I really wanted to but was forced to join the real world and socialize with friends. But it was horrible I tell you. I kept on thinking about my pot 'o curry and what it was doing all alone at home. I decided to freeze the rest of it for another week. Maybe next time I'll make curry omelette rice, oooh or steamed curry bun. Or how bout curry ice cream? The sky's the limit when you're poor.

Digg this

8 comments:

H. C. said...

But you could've told your friends that you wanted curry, curry, curry!

But still, four days is better than how long I could stand. I personally prefer the Vermont Curry brand, though (one square from that package really spiffs up a bowl of ramen).

Inland Empirical said...

Homemade curry pan.
You are my hero!

Clare said...

Ah - your post brought back such memories from my childhood! My mom used to make curry spaghetti with leftover curry, which was one of my favorite foods. Oh and that fried pan! :) I had it once at Famima!! and loved it but the fried part scared me. However, yours look almost light and fluffy and, dare I say it, healthy? OK it's a stretch but it looks healthier than Famima's.

Pirikara said...

Unfortunately, they're not too light and healthy. Yep, I've already veered off the path to a healthy new year. =(

BoLA said...

Mmm... I love curry with ramen noodles... heheh. I have a stash of instant curry and instant rice in my work drawer whenever I forget to pack a lunch. ;)

Yuzu said...

What a great post! I like curry, but I don't know if I could eat it for a week. You served it up in so many pleasing ways, though, I think it'd be possible for even me to eat that much curry!

Unknown said...

You forgot the cheese. It makes everything tasty.

Unknown said...

You still active? Random passerby who happened to look for answers about my japanese curry. Anyways random shout out since this blog post was in 2007 , im from the future of 2020.