Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sweet Lady Jane (West Hollywood)

A while back I saw Mario Batali on Iron Chef whip up an English Trifle. It seemed like the most basic thing -- layers of fluffy cake, cream and berries -- but it was one of the most delectable sights I'd ever seen. I've been on a search ever since. Sweet Lady Jane does theirs pretty well, but somehow I know there's better. I think what gets to me is the over-sized portions. For me, sweets are best in the first eight bites. After that it turns into an unwelcome guest. This one had a 20-bite count, give or take a few.

My grandma had the lemon meringue. I think her eyes were bigger than her stomach when she chose it. Luckily meringues are mostly air, so she got through it without keeling over. Phew~!
Digg this

5 comments:

H. C. said...

Oooh I didn't know SLJ had trifles -- will definitely look into sharing that with a friend if I'm in that area (I, too, love sweets but not in gianormous portions).

Julian Hsu said...

SLJ's triple berry shortcake was our wedding cake. :-) They're great, and the large sweets aren't so bad with a nice coffee or tea to go with. Or shared.

Unknown said...

i been there once and what i remember most is that there is a flaming hot waiter there. he was thumbs up. =)

Pirikara said...

hahah, flaming hot? Was he more flaming or hot? =P

Unknown said...

both. =D