Monday, September 11, 2006

Overconsumption?!

Dear food-blogging peers,

I know you're going to kill me, but aren't there times when you just don't feel like eating? When you don't feel like stuffing your face or making that extra effort to find the ultimate spicy-filet 'o-crispy-slow-cooked- juicy-thing-a-ma-bob? Yeah, I know. No, right?

Looking at my collection of photos of the past month's dining adventures, I've notice a common theme: TOO MUCH!

I dunno, maybe I should just go back to Japan where people eat til they're satisfied, not 'til they're full. Makes perfect sense that I gained 15 pounds within a year of returning to the US. Ugh. I digress ...

So anyway, without futher ado, here's some of my more memorable food finds of the past few weeks:

Right after I sat down at this mom-and-pop run hipster-hangout, I started raving to my culinary compadre about how cool this place was and how I'll definitely be returning. Though this was well before I got my food... and it was my first visit, too. I have very discriminating tastes when it comes to bun, the cold vermicelli dish above, and so I can tell you, it wasn't great. And apparently the pho wasn't either. Still, if you have a hankering for Vietnamese and you're in downtown, this place is worth a lunchtime visit.
Blossom Restaurant
426 South Main Street
Downtown LA
blossomrestaurant.com


I'm glad to find a few new menu additions to this place, which prides itself in brewing their soup base with fresh, organic ingredients. Chabuya now has a selection which vastly improves their original ramen bowl. Now you can top it with spicy chopped pork! It adds a kick to the otherwise bland and salty soup base.
Chabuya

2002 Sawtelle Blvd.
WLA
http://www.chabuya.com/

Due to the increase in overweight Americans, Blue Marlin has doubled the size of their miso salmon (saikyo yaki) dish. Before, it was just right. Now it's tonight's dinner AND tomorrow's lunch! Still, if you're on a strict budget it's a welcome change. Besides, it might've gotten bigger, but it's still packed with flavor.
Blue Marlin Japanese Bistro

2121 Sawtelle Boulevard
WLA


I LOVE THIS PLACE! So please don't go here, otherwise I won't be able to get a seat. Just kidding ... sorta. If you love sitting around a tiny table with friends and a pot of tea, this is the place for you. More notable than their tea, though is their assortment of DELICIOUS, DAINTY CAKES! The one above is a light mousse. Strawberry, I think. I ate it so fast I forgot.

Jin Patisserie
1202 Abbot Kinney
www.jinpatisserie.com

Big bowl 'o ice cream. Many friends. Bring lactaid.

Icekiss
Somewhere near 6th and Catalina
K-town
Digg this

No comments: