Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sno:la @ Beverly Hills



Forgive the meltiness. On my lunch break today I ventured to Beverly Hills to kill two birds with one stone: 1) pick up my Nike Run Hit Remix packet at Niketown and 2) check out Sno:la, the latest fro-yo shop to hit town. Each task was a complete nightmare since it was hot out and everyone seemed to be on the same mission. Eventually I wised up and found parking in a public lot a few blocks away, ran over to Niketown, grabbed my complimentary shirt and then ran over to Sno:la a few blocks further on Beverly Blvd.

If you were like me, you found yourself very intrigued by Daily Candy's email newsletter this week featuring a colorful picture of pink yogurt topped with chocolates and raspberries. Words like "wolfberry" and "toasted coconut" got my imagination racing and it didn't occur to me until later on that this could very possibly be just another Pinkberry-wannabe. That's the last thing this city needs.

Once inside, I found myself surrounded by half a dozen Daily Candy loyalists, each girl asking for at least two samples before defaulting on chocolate. I stuck to one, a swirly mix of mango and pomegranate which was definitely more tart than Pinkberry. Hmm, do I really need any more tartness in my life? It's questionable. But anyway, I was already there so I might as well get something. My initial assessment of the place is that if the actual yogurt doesn't appeal to you, their toppings will. They're far more gourmet than most other places. I topped my mango with sweet, soft and toasty bits of caramelized almonds, which tasted even better than it looked.

I left my camera in the car so I ran back right away. With my left hand on the wheel, I zoomed onto Wilshire Blvd., dodging tourists and other crazy drivers taking pictures of their food in the car. As soon as I got to a red light I focused the camera on my rapidly melting fro-yo. *Click*

Well, not the greatest picture, but I give myself credit for at least not rear-ending anyone.


Sno:la
244 North Beverly Dr.
(310) 274-2435
Digg this

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a great logo for an ice creamery

Anonymous said...

I thought Sno:LA was awesome. All flavors are a bit tart but refreshing I think. If you like sweet try chocolate topped with banannas,toffee or hazelnuts.I vacationed in Beverly Hills and hope to back soon!!

Anonymous said...

I have to write an editorial piece on the place and you've given me inspiration. Loved your observations... and the photo? Pretty awesome for how hot the day was. Nicely done.

Chubbypanda said...

Lol. I know what you mean. Pinkberry and its clones are slowly but surely tightening their frosty grasp on Orange County. *sigh* Why must our fads always be a year or two behind you guys?

sdfafsadf said...

oooooh i agree that the toppings are what differentiates these fro yo places.. at least for me. i used to think mochi was the deciding factor but after reading this, i might have to try the caramelized almonds. ::drool::

Anonymous said...

sno:la ROCKS!!!
I LOVE sno:la's fro-yo!!!!